b-hebrew - Re: CHESED=Grace

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: CHESED=Grace
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:55:34 +1100

Shoshanna,

I have no doubt that the Kabbalistic literature treats XESED in this way.
However, it is from a
much later time to Biblical Hebrew. In Greek we have the same phenomenon --
words evolve in their
meaning, even if only slightly.

A contextual analysis of XESED will demonstrate that it does include concepts
of mercy and
lovingkindness, as you mentioned. However, those words "mercy" and
"lovingkindness" are probably
not the best way to translate the biblical Hebrew word XESED. I think
"commitment" or "devotion"
are the best candidates I have come across to translate this word.

Also, NE'EMANUT is better translated as "steadfastness" than "loyalty".
AHABAH implies a
*relationship* of steadfastness -- ie, "loyalty" -- whereas NE'EMANUT is a
more generic term for
steadfastness, be it in the context of a relationship or not.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
(Sydney, Australia)

Best regards,