b-hebrew - RE: CHESED=Grace

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: CHESED=Grace
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:55:43 -0500

The word for mercy is RAXAMIM.

The word "lovingkindness" is only half the story with XESED.

According to the Kabbalists, Chesed is both lovingkindness and mercy - even though there is also another word - Rachamim -

The word for "loyalty" seems to be AHABAH (usually translated
"love",

The word for "loyalty" is Ne'emanut, not Ahava

but in the sense of showing
loyalty, not affection). This word has developed into later forms
of Hebrew as the equivalent of
English "love". The commandment to "love Yahweh your God" is not
to show him affection, but to be
loyal to him.

And loyalty implies obedience

CHESED implies both a contractual obligation, as well as a
favourable disposition. It should not be
translated "grace" since that is CHEN. A good example of CHESED
is seen in the story of the
Israelite spies and Rahab. They make a CHESED with her -- a
commitment, or a bargain.

What passage is this, where, so that I can look it up.

Shoshanna

The best way to sort out what a word means (and one word can have
many meanings) is to study the
contexts in which they appear.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS