b-hebrew - RE: Ending on a vowel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ending on a vowel?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:30:42 -0500

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to change the paradigmatic root in actual
paradigms, but the real problem would be where words like yiqtol, wayyiqtol,
etc. have become technical terms to describe the tense-forms. There are
still plenty of people using terms like perfect and imperfect; but for those
who have decided that a formal label is preferable to a semantic one
(especially given the divergence of opinion on the significance of the BH
tense-forms), I would think it an exercise in futility to try to replace
such terms with something like wayyi$pot.

I'm not saying I like using qatal--just questioning the likelihood of
changing it.

Trevor