b-hebrew - RE: Ending on a vowel?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "ian goldsmith" <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Ending on a vowel?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:17:49 -0000

Yes. But the only permitted word final vowel point (apart from a silent
shewa in a kaph or on a final consonant cluster) is qamets, and then only
following kaph and nun.

The matres lectionis ("silent" consonants) which may end a word are waw, yod
and he. Final aleph is technically a consonant but may actually be silent.
But final (and anywhere else) ayin should be considered as a full consonant
in biblical Hebrew, even if not pronounced by many modern speakers.

Peter Kirk