b-hebrew - RE: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "c stirling bartholomew" <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:07:13 -0000

You will have to ask David Bivin exactly what he meant. I guess he means
that its sentence structure is closer to non-Jewish Greek and less like LXX,
but I don't know how he measured this. I quite agree that foreign syntax
does not imply actual translation. It might suggest that the speaker/author
was thinking in her/his mother tongue and translating on the fly; or it
might simply be characteristic of a particular sub-group's dialect.

Peter Kirk