b-hebrew - Hebrew basic/"deep" word-order (was: b-hebrew digest: November 13, 2001)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT crossmyt.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Hebrew basic/"deep" word-order (was: b-hebrew digest: November 13, 2001)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:02:25 -0600

>>> Hebrew word order is (usually) V-S-O. Verb, subject, object.
>>> Greek word order is (usually) S-O-V, Subject, object, verb.

I didn't get too far into syntax, but I know that some theories
have problems with a fundamental or "deep" VSO word order,
because V-O is usually considered to be a constituent, while
V-S and S-O aren't usually considered to be hierarchical
constituents.

--
Henry Churchyard churchh AT crossmyt.com http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/