b-hebrew - Re: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ian goldsmith <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: "Harry W. Jones" <hjbluebird AT aol.com>, b- hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:40:08 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Harry.

Interesting question and one that has occupied the
thoughts of many before.

The short answer I believe is, no. We don't know if
the gospels were originally written in Hebrew then
translated into Greek. There are some expressions and
sentences in the NT that seem very Hebrew and so it is
possible to hypothesise a case for a Hebrew original.
However there isn't a scrap of evidence to prove this.

Aramaic and Greek seem to have been the language of
the day. Perhaps Jesus preached in both, perhaps when
quoting OT he quoted in Hebrew, but as far as I know
the quotes of the OT that he used match the
LXX/septuagint better, perhaps someone could clarify
that point.

It's possible, but it doesn't really matter, does it?
Certainly at least one letter in the NT was written to
the Hebrews and if there was any candidate for a
Hebrew text perhaps it would be here?

Perhaps if I've overlooked something someone would be
kind enough to fill in.

Many thanks
Ian.

--- "Harry W. Jones" <hjbluebird AT aol.com> wrote: > To
All