b-hebrew - RE: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "ian goldsmith" <iangoldsmith1969 AT yahoo.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Gospels being in Hebrew originally
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:44:40 -0000

It seems that Hebrew was also in widespread use in the 1st century. From an
article "The New International Jesus", by David Bivin
(http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/articles/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=1720,
but you need to log in to see the whole article):

The notion that first-century Jews in the land of Israel predominantly spoke
Aramaic was widespread from the middle of the last century until the middle
of this century -- and continues to circulate -- in academic and popular
literature... Since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, however,
scholarly opinion has been migrating to a position which recognizes that
most first-century Jews in the land of Israel were polyglots who spoke
Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek.

From another article by David Bivin, "A Gospel in Hebrew?"
(http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/articles/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=1471):

Contrary to what one might expect, however, the book of Hebrews is written
in the purest Greek of any book in the New Testament.

Peter Kirk

<snip>