b-hebrew - Re: Text of Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Orion List Owner <msorion AT mscc.huji.ac.il>
  • To: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Text of Isaiah
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:53:29 +0300 (IDT)

I would like to suggest that there are a number of instances in which the
text of the LXX is prefered (and dare I even say "superior") to the
readings in MT. The instances of which I speak do not imply an alternative
reading but suggest that the MT reading is erroneous (thus I dare say
"superior").

Off the top of my head I can think of Gen 47:21 where MT uses
"h(byr" [he moved], as opposed to the LXX "KATEDOULWSATO" which when
retroverted becomes "h(byd" [he enslaved]. If I am not mistaken the
Samatiran Pent also reflects the LXX rendition. In addition to this the
interchange between the "resh" and "daleth" is not uncommon in Hebrew as
the letters are very similar. The idea of Joseph enslaving the people
contextualy is also preferable to MT (this by the way produces a nice
literary twist where the Israelites first enslave the Egyptions before
becoming slaves themselves).

Though retroverting Greek texts into Hebrew in order to create prefered
readings seems like a precarious undertaking, you will find that using the
correct guidelines and caution will yield extremly
convincing results. Emanuel Tov's "Text Critical Use of the Septuagint in
Biblical Studies" is full of examples (more convincing than what I have
attempted above) of retroverted Greek text being superiour to MT.

.....D.Emanuel ;)