b-hebrew - Re: Text of Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Text of Isaiah
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:22:53 -0700

I would not think that any translation could better establish the original
text than
Hebrew ones such as the MT and Isaiah Scroll. What the translations can show
is that
there were some variations in ancient Hebrew texts (or text families)
accepted as
authentic by certain groups at certain times. This does not necessarily make
such
readings "superior" to the traditional or standard readings, just
alternatives.
Sometimes, interesting alternatives.

You might find _The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible_ by Martin Abegg, Peter Flint, and
Eugene
Ulrich to be helpful.

Solomon Landers