b-hebrew - Re: Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:43:18 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 2:10 AM

E. Wurthwein's 2nd edition, _The Text of the OT_, 1995 Engl. ed., p. 34, says:

"The papyrus was dated in the second or first century AD by its first
editors. On the grounds of its paleographical traits (which were not disputed
at the time, and have since been confirmed by the Qumran texts), Albright
assigned it to the Maccabean period,69 while Kahle assigned it on internal
grounds to the period before the destruction of the Temple.70"

Notes:
69 W F Albright 1937: 145-176.
70 P. Kahle 1951: 5f. For dating in the second half of the second century
BC, cf. N. Avigad 1958: 65.

I was not familiar w/ Avigad, but his work is "The Palaeography of the Dead
Sea Scrolls and Related Documents, " ScrHier 4:56-87. Repr. 1965. Kahle's
article is Die hebraischen Handschriften aus der Hohle. Franz
Delitzsch-Vorlesungen. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer.

Wurthwein also has a nicely enlarged photograph on page 145, as he does of
many mss.

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access