b-hebrew - Re: Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Biblio. ref.: Nash Papyrus
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:19:45 +0200

>> I was wondering if anyone had any bibliographical references to the
>> current understandings of the dating for the Nash Papyrus. I found
>> a few mentions of from 100 BCE to 70 CE, but I would prefer to have
>> a nice citable source!
>
>I think Bill Albright was correct in his assignment of the dating of the NP
>(JBL 56 (1937) p.145 and I think the palaeography enhancement of the
>period by the DSS bear him out over Kahle whose cites I am sure you have.
>Of course, my passion for palaeography and Dr. Albright having taught me
>have nothing to do with my opinion <g>

Thanks, Jack.

Strangely enough, the one citable reference I had was Albright's 1937
opinion, but a
lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. I'm looking at the
underpinnings
of the common palaeographic wisdom on the DSS and I need independent
materials on
the matter. So I'm still fishing for the current analyses of the Nash Papyrus.

Ian