b-hebrew - Re: Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Inspiration
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:24:21 -0800

There are some other aspects of this question which seem particularly
relevant to students of Biblical Hebrew.

When I was doing on a study of cosmic combat* in the OT a year or so ago I
went back and reread a riveting book** by Nicholas Wolterstorff in which he
discussed the idea of appropriated discourse. This is an important concept
when dealing with cosmic combat texts some of which look like they may have
been at one time hymns to Ba'al which were appropriated for the use in the
Hebrew canon.

Wolterstorff's book is not on the topic of "Inspiration" if you mean by that
the focus of the Bible wars of the late 70's and early 80's. I have attached
a catalog record for his book for those who have not read it.

Clay

--

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*On cosmic combat in the OT see Psa. 18, 29, 74, 77, 89; Hab. 3; Ex 15;
Nah. 1. Not all of these are examples of appropriated hymns to Ba'al.

*Wolterstorff, Nicholas. Divine discourse : philosophical
reflections on the claim that God speaks / Nicholas Wolterstorff.
Cambridge ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1995.

Contents of: Divine discourse
Locating our topic -- Speaking is not revealing -- The many modes of
discourse -- Divine discourse in the hands of theologians -- What it is to
speak -- Could God have and acquire the rights and duties of a speaker? --
Can God cause the events generative of discourse? -- In defense of
authorial-discourse interpretation : contra Ricoeur --In defense of
authorial-discourse interpretation : contra Derrida -- Performance
interpretation -- Interpreting mediating human discourse : the first
hermeneutic -- Interpreting mediating human discourse : the second
hermeneutic -- Has Scripture become a wax nose? -- The illocutionary stance
of biblical narrative -- Are we entitled? -- Historical and theological
afterword.