b-hebrew - Re: Inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Inspiration
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:29:35 -0800

Hebrew translations of "theopneustos" [God-breathed] render it as _b'ruach
elohim_
(Delitzsch) or _'al-pi ruach elohim_ (UBS, 1983). This is similar to the
thought
expressed aat 2 Sam.23:2: _ruach YHWH dibber bi umillato 'al l'shoni_, "The
spirit of
YHWH speaks through me, his discourse is on my tongue." (Everett Fox) The
basic
element, _ruach_, of course, can mean both spirit and breath.

Solomon Landers