b-hebrew - Re: Qodesh vs Qadosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Silberman, Alfred" <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Qodesh vs Qadosh
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:29:18 -0500

Dear Al,
I looked through the places where we find qodesh and qadosh, and found that
qadosh is
used mostly as a predicate adjective. The notable exception is the common
phrase
"holy place." You also find once "holy people" and several times "the holy
one."
The construct state is frequently used in an attributive fashion, so I am not
sure if
there is any real difference in meaning.
Lee R. Martin

"Silberman, Alfred" wrote:

> I am trying to understand the difference between the noun "qodesh" and the
> adjective "qadosh".
>
> Specifically, in Ex 22:30 how would the meaning change if instead of the
> noun being used - Ve'anshei qodesh - an adjective would be used as
> "Ve'anashim qedoshim".
>
> Thank you.
> Al Silberman
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [lmartin AT vol.com]

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/