b-hebrew - Re: Qodesh vs Qadosh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Qodesh vs Qadosh
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:59:37 +0000

On Tue 13 Feb 2001 (07:50:42), alfred.silberman AT lmco.com wrote:
> I am trying to understand the difference between the noun "qodesh" and
> the adjective "qadosh".
>
> Specifically, in Ex 22:30 how would the meaning change if instead of
> the noun being used - Ve'anshei qodesh - an adjective would be used as
> "Ve'anashim qedoshim".

Dear Al,

The root QD$ signifies separation, consecration, sanctification, holiness.
It is the positive concomitant of XRM, signifying devotion to destruction.

In Exodus 22:30 [31] we have the phrase W:aN:$eY-QoDe$, "and men of
holiness".
This is a Construct pair hyphenated with Metheg. It is an alternative way of
saying "holy men" with QaDo$ as an adjective, and means the same as
Wa'a:Na$iYM Q:Do$iYM.

The clause W:aN:$eY-QoDe$ TiH:YuWN LiY is flowery and oracular, with the Nun
after TiH:YuW for rhetorical effect. It is a N:'uM YHWH, an oracle of the
LORD, a solemn declaration.

That's how it seems to me.

Shalom,
Ben