b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 7.14 and Matthew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 7.14 and Matthew
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 06:54:09 EST

In a message dated 2/6/2001 11:56:18 PM Central Standard Time,
rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl writes:

BTW, how old are the words "computer", "e-mail", "discussionlist",
"internet"? Quite a lot neologisms isn't it? Must be rather offensive for
you to have part in such an neologism-culture.

It is not simply a matter of "new" words which is disagreeable.  It is the
tendency to abandon perfectly good older terms because someone has become
offended with some real or imagined offensive occurence.  When languages
cease to develop they die.  I'm not prepared, however, to change my use of
terms every five minutes to suit someone's whims.

gfsomsel