b-hebrew - RE: Goliath

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Goliath
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:19:24 -0000

Ian, your case is not as good as it seems.

Firstly, you assume a single copyist. Rather more likely is two generations
of copyists who damaged the 2 Samuel text: the first who copied hurriedly,
added a second )RGYM (that word starts with aleph, not ayin), and perhaps
wrote BYT and )T unclearly; and a second who tried to make sense of the text
he saw, which may have been damaged as well as written unclearly.

Secondly, we are talking about an aleph, not an ayin, in )T as well (your
`eynayim seem to see ayin's all over the place, Ian ;-), and a damaged aleph
could well look like a beyt, with the yod being added to regularise the
spelling. Anyway, since we don't know exactly what time these errors were
made (except that they must have been after the Chronicler's time but before
LXX), we don't know what letter shapes were in use at the time. Not
necessarily just like the DSS ones.

Thirdly, just because LXMY means "my bread" in Hebrew, that is no reason to
argue that it could not be a Philistine name, especially as we know almost
nothing of the Philistine language. I know Koreans with surnames like Lee,
Park and Song, all perfectly good English words, does that mean these people
cannot really be Korean? Also, for all we know the Philistines may have
become Semitic speaking by the time of David.

Peter Kirk