b-hebrew - Re: RE: Goliath

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Charles Hutchesson <MC2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: RE: Goliath
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:24:05 +0100 (CET)

> ==========================
> From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: RE: Goliath
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:03:29 -0500
> ==========================

It's very difficult to talk about the "author's original" intention, but this
is more in line with my thinking of both traditions (Sam/Kgs & Chr) working
from a common source -- and I think that common source was also used by
Josephus.

> This is probably the essence of why Ian's argument does not stand.

Uh-huh.

> Samuel is well-known for pre-LXX (and post) problems with its
> transmission and experienced significant lacuna, etc (the worst
> book of MT). I'm astounded that discussion would continue, but
> perhaps some have not carefully examined the problems in Samuel's
> text.

This last sentence is typical of the writer. Dan drops this sort of *rubbish*
in about half his posts. Obviously he includes himself in those who have
carefully examined the problems of Samuel's text (and anyone who *disagrees
with him* is not included).

It's therefore not strange to find him taking the apologetic approach to the
original problem: it simply cannot be (a priori) that there are two different
traditions about the death of Goliath. There are not two traditions about the
way Saul died. There are not three traditions of the patriarch palming his
wife off as his sister. There are not (at least) two traditions regarding the
creation of the world. Anyone who thinks so hasn't carefully examined the
problems of those texts. One should not disagree with Dan because they, in
doing so, must be wrong, ie not examining the texts carefully enough.

> I don't have time to go through all the details of Ian's post
> now. Maybe later (but i doubt it!).

So do I.

I would ask Dan to stop the gratuitous statements of the kind:

> I'm astounded that discussion would continue, but
> perhaps some have not carefully examined the problems in Samuel's
> text.

Ian