b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 05:44:07 +0100

>Ian, if you want to disregard the strong and united, if I remember
>correctly, testimony of the ancient Church that the apostle Matthew wrote
>the Gospel of Matthew, then you are free to do so. Thanks for clarifying
>the thinking of those who might consider the Gospel's author to be a
>Gentile.

Dear Harold,

I haven't taken a position on Matthew's racial heritage, though I doubt if
there was a single author to the gospel as you seem to believe.

I still don't think it is subject material for the b-hebrew list.

Ian

This is what Papias said:

Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and
each one interpreted them as best he could.

Eusebius H.E. III.39.14