b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 14:47:11 +0200

Let me point out that in the 1st century CE (and before and afterwards, for
that matter), Jews did not distinguish between their nationality and their
religion.
(This can be regarded as a direct development of the ancient concept of
peoples with national gods)
Jews were also, then and throughout the centuries in their lands of
dispersion, considered a people by non-Jews as well.
It was only with the Jewish Enlightenment of the late 18th-early 19th
centuries that Jews strarted regarding themselves as "Germans/Frenchmen of
the Jewish Persuasion".
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman
Dept. of Biblical Studies