b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 18:34:35 -0600

Ausra,

<<I doubt if Matthew o Luke read Isaiah in Hebrew. That's a question for
b-greekers, not for b-hebrew folk...>>

Yet, most early church history recounts that Matthew wrote his gospel first
in Hebrew (not Aramaic?) and that it was later translated into Greek. What
sense would it make for him to quote the LXX when writing in Hebrew? But,
perhaps this is all just speculation. (And it really doesn't have anything
to do with B-Hebrew... I probably shouldn't even send this.)

Regards,
Jason

Jason A. Hare
Ozark Christian College