b-hebrew - creatio ex nihilo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: creatio ex nihilo
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 07:34:35 -0600

Dear Jonathan,

You wrote:

> I too
>have always understood the verse the way you did, and maybe that is the
>correct interpretation, but in the 3rd line of the piyyut (medieval
>liturgical poem), we read: hu' sax wayyehxi, wetsivvah wenivra'u, "He spoke
>and it came to be, and he commanded and they were created", which is a
>reiteration of the Rabbinic doctrine of beria'ah bema'amar, "creation by the
>word", equivalent to creatio ex nihilo. Actually both hemistichs are taken
>from Psalm somewhere.

Psalm 33:6-9:

Psa. 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host
of them by the breath of his mouth.
Psa. 33:7 He gathereth the waters of the sea together as an heap: he layeth
up the depth in storehouses.
Psa. 33:8 Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the
world stand in awe of him.
Psa. 33:9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard