b-hebrew - Re: creatio ex nihilo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <LBR AT sprynet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creatio ex nihilo
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:55:53 -0500

On 2 Feb 01, at 20:46, Jonathan D. Safren wrote:

> Creatio ex nihilo also appears in Jewish tradition. "creation by word"
> (beri'ah be-ma'amar) is one way of putting it; "Hanging the world on
> nothing "(toleh erets al belimah) is another.

I've never happened to look at the commentaries on that phrase, but I've
somehow always assumed that "hanging the world on nothing" meant that
the world was neither hung from nor supported by any other material object
(e.g. neither Atlas nor a turtle undernearth, no string suspending it from
something above). How is the phrase interpreted to support ex nihilo?

Lewis Reich