b-hebrew - Re: creatio ex nihilo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creatio ex nihilo
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:49:35 -0500

On 2 Feb 01, at 11:03, David Stabnow wrote:

> While the account in Genesis does not require ex nihilo, this doctrine was
> reinforced, for the Christian, in Hebrews 11:3 -- "what is seen has been
> made from things that are not visible" (EIS TO MH EK FAINOMENWN TO
> BLEPOMENON GEGONENAI). I say this only to explain why some hold the
> position, not to argue for it.

I am curious how this verse was seen as supporting ex nihilo. I'd have
thought that "things that are not visible" are not the same as "nothing";
that
a thing is not visible does not mean that is no-thing. (I ask this not to
argue
the position, but to understand how the verse was understood by those
who took the position.)

Lewis Reich