b-hebrew - RE: The Messianic Idea

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The Messianic Idea
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:46:38 -0500

This is not eschatological.
I agree there was a pre-exilic Davidic covenant, and
mythologization of the Davidic king.

esp. vv. 5-6; Jeremiah 23:5-8,
> the last part of his prophecies on the kings of Judah (and which
> is arguably
> talking about the newly anointed King Zedekiah);
I agree, he's talking about Zedekiah.

and Ezekiel 34,
> esp. vv. 23
> ff. Do you want to claim that they are all post-exilic too? (Ezekiel is of
> course exilic)
I think all the references to David in Ezekiel are added by a later
post-exilic
redactor.

And what do you do with with Haggai 2:20-23, from the reign
> of Darius I? I think all these prophets are talking about a Davidic scion
> about to reign or be born in their own time or close to it.
This is part of the reaction against Cyrus and the Persians.
As is Zechariah.

> To me, this appears to be a continuous chain of prophetic hope
> for an ideal
> Davidic king, starting with David and stretching down to the
> restoration of
> the Second Temple, when it is bitterly and finally disappointed.
> That, in my
> opinion, is when the clasical Jewish (and later Christian) idea of Messiah
> begins its real development..

I think you've got to allow for a little break there by Deutero-Isaiah.

Liz