b-hebrew - Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: virgin: _BETHULAH_ and/or _(ALMAH_
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:50:02 +0200

My posting, if you read it carefully, was not devoted to the meaning of any
specific word, but to the interpretation of the verse IN CONTEXT. So I do
not understand your emphais on the translation or interpretation of the word
'almah, unless you are motivated
Matthew and other early Christians, like their Jewish Rabbinic
contemporaries, were accustomed to interpreting words, phrases, and verses
OUT OF CONTEXT when it suited their theological or other needs or goals.
Once Isaiah 7:14 is read in context, objectively, and not proceeding from a
preconceived belief system , it can be readily seen that the miracle in
question is the rapid downfall of Ahaz's enemies, Pekah ben Ramaliahu of
Ephraim and Retzin of Aram Damascus, which is to occur before an infant
about to be born, or already born, can even learn the difference between
"good" and :"evil", i.e., very soon. If the sign in question is the birth
itself, then the identity of the mother and infant are important, not her
virginity or lack of it.
All of Isaiah's words in this chapter, when read in context, have to do with
the political-military situation obtaining in 735 BCE, or in the near
future. He was speaking to the people of his time, as can be seen by Ahaz's
cynical disdain and the prophet's sharp rebuke. What concerned them all =
king, people and prophet - was how to get out of a tricky wicket, not some
far-off eschatological future. Isaiah's message was that they WOULD get out,
and soon. Ahaz had his doubts.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman