b-hebrew - Isaiah's kids.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Isaiah's kids.
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:52:03 -0500

I'd like to second Charles David Isbell,
and beyond that to add that to Isaiah at least
the sign was the child himself, not the circumstances
surrounding the conception. He gave all his children
funny names because their *names* were the sign,
their names were chosen by YHWH.
"See, I and my children whom YHWH has given me
are signs and portents in Israel from YHWH Sebaot who dwells on Zion."
(8:18).
*All* his children are signs, but the sign is the name.
One child is Immanuel, one Maher-shalal-hashbaz,
and one Shear-Yashub.
Further, I wouldn't necessarily translate Immanuel
as God is with us. Given the context, the meaning could
equally be God is against us (as to strive with, wrestle with, etc).
He is with us in the shape of Assyria.

Liz

  • Isaiah's kids., Liz Fried, 01/29/2001