b-hebrew - Re: SahVoNaY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Stabnow" <dstabno AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: SahVoNaY
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:16:27 -0600

I'm sure that for the most part I would be preaching to the choir if I were
to bemoan the drawbacks of trying to learn Hebrew in one semester, or
through correspondence or some other self-directed study. The student is
likely to learn the alphabet and vowels, some vocabulary, the strong verb,
declension of nouns, and maybe one of the following:

1. clause sequences
2. weak verbs
3. verbal suffixes
4. pronunciation
5. cantillation
6. poetry

Which one is necessary, and which ones are expendable?

Anyway, our inquirer has encountered a doubly-weak verb. The initial nun is
assimilated (though it does not show up as a dagesh in the imperative). The
final aleph affects the vocalization (the initial qamats). Section 118 of
Lambdin's _Introduction to Biblical Hebrew_ is very helpful (see also
section 193).

This is a masculine plural imperative (hence the shuruq) with a
first-person objective suffix (-ni).

Dave Stabnow

"The Wilens Family" <dwilens AT maranatha.net> on 01/21/2001 08:22:54 PM

Please respond to "The Wilens Family" <dwilens AT maranatha.net>