b-hebrew - Re: SahVoNaY (&a'uWNiY)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: SahVoNaY (&a'uWNiY)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:24:46 +0000

On Sun 21 Jan 2001 (21:22:54), dwilens AT maranatha.net wrote:
> In Jonah 1:12, Jonah says, "Lift me up and throw me into the sea." The
> word 'Lift' is &)WNY Sin Aleph Vav Nun Yod.
>
> Is the root word &)W Shin Aleph Vav?
>
> What's confusing me is that Strong's says the word is 5375 - N&) Nun
> Sin Aleph. How can this be!?

Dear David

It's Sin Aleph Vav, not Shin Aleph Vav.

Strong's is right about the root. N-&-' is Pe Nun and Lamedh Aleph, so it is
doubly weak. In Psalm 4:6 it is spelt N-S-H Nun Samech He (to take, bear,
lift up).

Here we have the Qal 2nd person plural Imperative with 1st person singular
pronominal suffix. The initial Nun disappears, and the vowel shureq (waw with
dagesh) indicates 2nd person plural. The Nun is a Nun Demonstrativum or Nun
Energicum, an optional Nun for euphonic effect. It smooths the transition
between the open Shureq and the -iY of the 1st person pronominal suffix.

So it's not SaVoNaY: it's &a'uWNiY. Now can you cope with the next word,
WaHa:+iYLuNiY ? Root +uWL Teth Waw Lamedh and your Nun energicum again.
This time, Hiphil 2nd person plural Imperative with 1st person singular
pronominal suffix and prefixed Waw conjunctivum.

That's how it seems to me...

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
<ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>

  • Re: SahVoNaY (&a'uWNiY), Ben Crick, 01/22/2001