b-hebrew - RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: singular and plural for Isaiah's servant
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:04:58 -0500

OK, i did not catch on that you were basing your decision uniquely on
speculation rather than the textual evidence. That was my
misunderstanding/mistake, though of course i think the speculation is yours!
:-)
[Why would your "Trito-Isaiah" insert it, anyway?]

I certainly would not want to assume that this one singular MT MSS omitting
"Isreal" represents anything going back to an actual recension (or
redaction) of the text. If DSS, majority of MT, and LXX all agree, then any
emendation of the text is pure speculation and should not claim any support
from the singular MT MS. The (pre)-Massoretic standardization of the text
would make this unlikely, and ommission (accidental or intentional) by a
scribe is my guess.

> 3rd-I doesn't like Cyrus being called the Servant, Messiah, etc.
> But it makes no sense, without a great deal of juggling, to
> have Israel bring Israel back.

> people, yet is
> > > [2MS]
> No, this is atem, you, masc. plural.

Oops, my blunder. Thanks for catching that.

> are my
> > > singular, "My
> > > plural "that you
> > > verbs). Corporate
> > > failed to do.
> > > Israel (plural)
> > > is witness to the acts of the servant (singular).
> >
> > But it says "you (singular) are my witnesses (plural)."
> NO, you *plural* atem.
>
> So your analysis
> > does not go to the level of the text i'm presenting here. Then this
> > "you/witnesses" is further defined as "even My servant..."
> No, you (plural) are my witnesses. My servant whom I have chosen
> [is] so that you may know and and believe me, and understand
> that I am he...

By your supplied "[is]" do you mean to indicate: "My servant ... *exists* so
that ..."? That seems a strange way to deal with this syntax to me.

> But, I admit your reading is possible as well.
> There are many situations in Isaiah in which Israel is called servant.
> But I don't buy the "corporate Israel" stuff. When a single person
> is spoken of (in chapters 40-49), it is Cyrus, imo.
> It is also Cyrus in 55 & 61.

Just a side note here: There is a distinct break in the use of "servant"
from 40-53 and from 54-66. In the latter section, it is 100% used in the
plural of the faithful remnant individuals in Israel; whereas in the former
section, it is always in the singular and alternates back and forth between
individual/collective identifications (the part we are discussing). I think
this is signifant to keep in mind regarding the division point(s) of the
books and the progession of the "servant concept" in the entire section of
40-66.

> I think 50:4-9 is the prophet who follows the voice of the servant
> in 50:10. I think 52:13 goes with 52:1-12, not with the following
> and refers to Cyrus.
> 52:13ff refers to the prophet.
> Them's my thoughts at the moment.

I just can't see dividing up the Servant Songs like that. I think there is
much to be said for their unity... I guess i won't go there now though.

> Feel free to dash them to bits.
> I'm expanding a paper I gave at SBL.
> I got side-tracked for a while,
> but am back to it.
>
> Liz

I think the singular/plural interchanges (excepting that one; i still stand
by two of them) must be telling us something about the identification of the
servant, and is perhaps the key to deciphering the long-standing debate as
to whether it's singular or "corporate" (whatever term is fine, but it
clearly references the nation or else the plurality of the people in those
several contexts i listed). I think a "both/and" view works well on the
levels both of macro-analysis (the big picture, comparison of all contexts
[and the NT!]) and micro-analysis (the singular/plural interchanges). But
thanks for your input, especially catching that mistake.

Dan Wagner