b-hebrew - Re: Word used in OT (BHS)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Word used in OT (BHS)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 21:27:30 -0500

Dear Yousaf,

Your search result will be greatly altered by version of the
Bible you choose to search in. If you choose the Bibleworks
text designated WTT you are searching the Biblia Hebraica
Stuttgartensia. When you type <.bxr> on the command line
the search device will hit upon a Hebrew word with only the
three consecutive consonants B-X-R. Such a search would
find you the 3ms qatal _baxar_, the ms imperative _bexar_,
and the ms participle _boxer_, etc. It will even find you
_bexor_ as in Num 33:32's _bexor haggidgad_ "in
Khor-haggidgad."

If, on the other hand, you search in the version designated
WTM, you are searching in the BHS Hebrew Morphology and
Lemma Database. If, while searching in this version, you
type in the command line <.bxr> (note that is is the exact
same command line as we tried in the WTT), the search will
hit on 164 cases including, in this case, all verbs. The
search, done this way, will not hit on constructions with
the preposition _bet_ such as the case from Numbers above.
BTW, _baxur_ is listed as a qal passive participle
(functionally a little misleading, I think).

You can also search using the Hebrew vowels if you enter the
setup dialogue box, choose "flags 2" and then choose "search
on Hebrew vowels."

Hoping to help,
Bryan

You wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> I'm working on a multilingual dictionary. I have placed a
column in my
> dictionary as "Word used in OT" i.e used in BHS.
>
> I'm using two computer programs for this purpose.
> a) Bible works version 4.0
> b) BART (Biblical analysis research tool)
>
> When I entered a word (baxar = chose) in Bible works,
there were 28 hits for
> this word.
> When I tried it in BART, there were 70 hits for this word.
BART's research was
> done on base form (baxar = chose)
>
> I'm confused which one is correct and which number should
I put in my
> dictionary?
>
> Another question about Bible works:
> Can I put (seghole, sere, khiraq etc) with words when I do
word search. I don't
> know if it's possible in Bible works. If it's possible
then it gives me exact
> word that I'm looking for.
>
> I apologize if my question is not clear. Thanks and your
help is very much
> appreciated.
>

> Yousaf.

B. M. Rocine