b-hebrew - Re: Num 18:29

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Num 18:29
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:42:33 -0500

Hi David,

Poetry is identified by patterned language, certain
stylistic features of syntax such as embedding and
reversals, and an abundance of figurative language. A prose
passage may wax poetic as the concentration of poetic
features increases, but asserting whether a particular
passage poetry is rather than "poetic prose" is quite
subjective and to me, making a harmless but unhelpful claim.
A poem, on the other hand, is easier to identify objectively
because in a poem an entire text displays poetic qualities
throughout.

I do not really think we need to set Num 18:29 off as poetry
in formatting because it is part of a larger prose text.
Still, the patterned nature of the language in the verse
will identify it as "poetic prose" even in translation.

Just my two shqalim.

Shalom,
Bryan

you wrote:
> Is Num 18:29 poetry? I notice that both halves of the
verse begin with a
> prepositional phrase with *min*, and end with marked
direct objects. The
> verb in the second half is omitted.
>
> Is it perhaps poetry as a mnemonic device for this
regulation? If so, it
> seems to me, it should be set off as poetry in translation
to alert the
> reader, or else the reader who is not alert to Hebrew
poetry would miss the
> device.
>
> Dave Stabnow

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

(office) 315-437-6744
(home) 315-479-8267

  • Num 18:29, David Stabnow, 01/02/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Num 18:29, Bryan Rocine, 01/03/2001
    • Re: Num 18:29, Harold R. Holmyard III, 01/03/2001