b-hebrew - RE: Proof Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Proof Texts
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:02:49 -0500

Charles David Isbell says, "Surely for a 6th century prophet in Babylon to
have
spoken about events in 1st century Roman Judea would have been the height of
irresponsibility to his own people."
__________________

I agree with your concern that the Heb. prophets must have immediate
relevance in their message, else they were irresponsible. However, there are
a variety of ways by which an oracle can have immediate application. If one
accepts the concept of Messianic hope, then surely this must have had
immediate relevance to the original audience from that moment until the time
of the Messiah's coming, even if it was presented as a remotely future time.
Jeremiah's prophecy of 70 years could not be fulfilled in most people's
lifetime, but it still gave comfort to them (potentially). The peaceful,
dominating kingdom of Israel spoken of by many prophets gives hope to many
even today, though it surely has not been fulfilled as yet.

Therefore, while you may not agree with a fulfillment in Jesus, this
interpretation should not preclude a very real application that Isaiah
intended to his audience. If they were under the reign of terror of King
Manasseh--it was the very opposite of the Servant's "justice" (42:1,3,4). A
more righteous King would come--yes, a long time away--but that King's reign
was an eternal one (Psalm 72). He would reign over them eternally after
their resurrection (Dan. 12). Thus they could know, like Asaph of Psm. 73,
that the transient triumph of the wicked was not so bad after all, since
after death comes, God would _LQX_ [take/receive] them to "glory" just like
He had "_LQX_[-ed]" both Enoch and Elijah (v. 24; cf. Psm. 49:15 "God will
redeem my soul from the power of the grave, for He will _LQX_ me.").

If the Hebrews didn't believe in immortality/resurrection, they were
certainly the odd-balls of the entire ancient Near East on that issue. But i
am confident that they did (cf. Isa. 26:19; Job 14 & 19). Immortality was a
concept known from the very inception of revelation (Gen. 3:22). So
individually they could have hope, and according to Ezekiel 37, they could
have hope of national restoration also through the Messianic new "David"
(vv. 24-25).

My point is that Messianic prophecy could *always* have application to an
audience in any time, no matter how far removed from its historical
fulfillment.

Dan Wagner