b-hebrew - Corrected OTA BHS text

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "John Richards" <jhr AT universalist.worldonline.co.uk>
  • To: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Corrected OTA BHS text
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 16:31:33 -0000

At last, with the help of Henry's list of long verses, I have been able to
go through it adding the missing '?' markers.

I am pleased to be able to say that it now converts perfectly with the CC
CCT files, without any hitch.

I have sent a copy to OTA explaining the situation, and until they make the
corrected version available on their site and in a sensible ZIP format, it
is available on mine as a 1.4 Mb zipped file -

http://www.stackpole.freeserve.co.uk/hebrew/bhs.zip

I have included in the ZIP all the CC files necessary, and some simple
automatic batch files, so that all you need to do to convert the OTA BHS
text to a Windows SIL Ezra compatible format is to put all these files
together into a temporary folder and then in a DOS window run one of the
following batch files, depending on which text you want -

unpointed.bat
vowels.bat
accents.bat

For an SIL Interpreted Romanised version run the batch file

interp.bat

Then load the resultant BHS.TXT file into your word processor, select all
the text, and choose the appropriate font. (For appropriate appearance it is
also sensible to set the text to Right Align at the same time.

It is all at the most a 10 minute job - but it has taken me a couple of
weeks to get to this position! It ought to have been this simple from the
beginning!

John Richards