b-hebrew - RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text -- closing in

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Conversion of OTA BHS text -- closing in
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:56:43 -0500

The SIL program does not "critically rely on" these ?'s. It simply outputs
long lines where the input text has long lines as indicated by a long gap
between ?s. Your sample text shows why it would be wrong to output a new
line where the input text has a new line - the result would be very short
lines of Hebrew not matching BHS. The aim of the program is to reproduce the
line breaks of BHS. But of course garbage in means garbage out. WTS could
have verified their data e.g. with an AWK script like yours, but had not
done so in 1989. Maybe they had done for the later text for which the SIL
program was designed.

You are of course welcome to amend the SIL program if you have other
requirements. But the need to reverse each line means that the line breaks
must be explicitly inserted somewhere. Your program would have to be quite
intelligent to work out where to put them if it does not follow the ?s.

Peter Kirk