b-hebrew - RE: Conceptual Metaphor Theory & Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Brian Tucker" <jbtucker AT metroshores.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Conceptual Metaphor Theory & Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:56:43 -0500

Dear Brian,
This is a fascinating topic!
Does the article discuss how to recognize metaphor
or allegory and how to recognize when the biblical writer is being literal?
Can we assume the Biblical writer is using metaphor
or allegory when he refers to YHWH scooping up clay
and making Adam, or should we assume he is being literal, i.e.,
that the literal is the conception of the author?
I assume the author is being literal, and I am often accused of
underestimating
the biblical writers and of turning the bible into fairy tales.
Is this issue dealt with in the article you cite, or any article?
Do people have thoughts on this topic?

Liz Fried
Ann Arbor, MI
lizfried AT umich.edu