b-hebrew - Conceptual Metaphor Theory & Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Tucker" <jbtucker AT metroshores.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Conceptual Metaphor Theory & Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:24:18 -0500

Shalom

Could someone define the cognitive conceptual metaphor theory of Lakoff &
Johnson?

Lakoff, G & Johnson M. Metaphors we live by. Chicago IL: UoC 1980. Our
seminary library does not have this text...

I am working through an article entitled:

Hermanson, E.A. "Recognising Hebrew Metaphors: Conceptual Metaphor Theory
and Bible Translation." Journal of Northwest Semitic Languages 22/2
(1996), pp. 67-78.

It appears the foundation of his argument is based on this theory, but he
assumes his readers are aware of it. My educated or uneducated guess is
that Lakoff & Johnson's theory has something to do with "conceptual
metaphor goes beyond the words, phrases and sentences of the text."

Also, does anyone have ideas about how to recognize metaphors in BH?

Brian Tucker
Riverview, MI
jbtucker AT metroshores.net