b-hebrew - RE: YHVH in Esther (hidden behind the scenes)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT dstm.com>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: YHVH in Esther (hidden behind the scenes)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 08:58:38 -0500

I think the name of God (along with any direct references) was intentionally
omitted and we should not seek to find it (i'm unimpressed w/ such attempts
regardless). The book is about divine providence *behind the scenes* and by
means of *ungodly people* such as Esther and Mordecai. They were unwilling
to return to the land (contrast Zerubbabel, Ezra), display no evidence of
piety (devise a plot to wed pagan, Zoastrian king against divine
commands--completely opposite of Daniel's testimony in Babylon/Persia), nor
of faith (1 possible exception of 4:14 but better to take as fatalistic
rather than true faith), etc...

It's also obvious (i think) that the writer intended the hero of the story
to be God, not Esther or Mordecai: Providence is dynamic at every turn of
circumstance. But the writer intentionally hides God behind the scenes,
protecting His Holy Name from being tarnished by the unholy means through
whom God accomplishes His greater purpose for the preservation of His people
(not what's in Persia, but the true remnant back in the land).

A potential problem with my view is Mordecai's prominence at the end of the
book. However, i think this is still only a means to a greater end, namely,
"seeking the good of his people and speaking peace to all his countrymen"
(10:3). The fact that his accomplishments are not detailed in the book, but
only referred to and documented as "written in the book of the chronicles of
the kings of Media and Persia" (10:2) would also support this. Yes, Mordecai
was a great historical person in human terms, but the writer really did not
care much about his personal greatness. It was the protecting Providence
that the writer focuses upon throughout the book, and the very keeping of
Him behind the scenes serves only to advance the tribute given to Him.

Dan Wagner