b-hebrew - Re: 3800 YEAR OLD ALPHABET FOUND INTACT....

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 3800 YEAR OLD ALPHABET FOUND INTACT....
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:09:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 7:15 AM

> Lance Petersen wrote:
> [snip]
> > So, when I saw that he had responded to this particular post, I
opened
> > his message with trepidation, waiting to read his brilliant and erudite
> > assessment. I found his analysis of the photo insightful. I would tend
> > agree with him. However, I was disappointed, because, like so much of
what he
> > has said, the conclusions he reached in the rest of his post I could not
> > follow. Such as how any "affiliations," in and of themselves, render
> > someone's findings ... well, whatever he was trying to render them.
Also,
> > the "thing" that is being tried, how does it differ from someone like
himself
> > studying, coming to conclusions and publishing the findings. Like an
eager
> > student sitting at the feet of the master, I await enlightenment. What,
pray,
> > tell, are the "similar affiliations?" And what is the "thing" that is
being
> > tried?
>
> I was trying to be delicate. The "similar affiliations" I refer to are
> LDS, since the article specifically said that the digger in the Negev
> was from BYU. The "thing" is trying to find North American
> artifacts to back up the idea that ancient Hebrews migrated here
> during the time of Josiah. Of course, if this alphabet really is 3800
> years old, then it severely predates the purported events of the
> Mormon writings anyway, so I may have been a little too hasty in
> suggesting that someone was trying to find a connection. I have
> seen enough hoaxes of this type, some brought to me personally,
> that I am perhaps a bit gun-shy.

I have also seen a number of fake "Hebrew" inscriptions "excavated"
in the U.S. including one where a phrase was reinserted in palaeohebrew
with a CARET. I have the same skepticism here..perhaps even stronger
than Daves and I appear to have missed the original post with the image.
If someone would care to foreward it to me, I will hold my opinion until
i look at it with a palaeographer's eye.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
North Hollywood, Ca.
jkilmon AT historian.net