b-hebrew - The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Flood
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:48:53 +0200

Michael is quite right about a flood depth of about 2 miles covering the
earth, if all the land forms were flattened. But my studies indicate that at
no time in the geologic history of mankind was the whole earth ever been
completely flooded, nor were 90% of all animal forms wiped out, save those
on the ark (by the way I am a social studies teacher, and have taught
Geography as well as History as well as Art).

The "key problem," is the dating of the Flood. The Hebrew Bible (Massoretic
Text) is quite clear that this Flood occured within the 3rd millenium BCE,
or 4th if you want to cite the LXX, and Geologists are unaware of such world
wide deposits engulfing the whole world and destroying man and animals at
this time, or at any time in the past. Dave is correct, practically all
cultures have Flood myths, but, then, flooding is pretty common, and when it
occurs, primitive man tends to see it engulfing "his world," which then
becomes through embellishment the "whole world."

Dave has pointed out, from his viewpoint, that the Hebrew Bible is as we
have an "ERRANT TEXT." IT IS NOT TO BE TRUSTED, and thus the reason for his
quest to find the original AUTOGRAPH (his "Inerrant Text"). Thus he rejects
the notion that Noah's flood occured in the 3rd millenium BCE. I would like
to take this opportunity to say that I never thought Dave Washburn and
myself would ever come to an agreement on anything, but this discussion on
the flood has proved me wrong. I find myself in agreement with Dave, the
Texts are "ERRANT," my studies in biblical archaeology have led me to this
conclusion, while Dave's "faith" position about only the autograph being
inerrant, has led him to the same conclusion (thus his rejection of the 10
pre and post flood generations and the given ages of the individuals). So,
as to "the big picture," an untrustworthy text, DAVE AND I ARE IN AGREEMENT,
but from different perspectives, or lines of inquiry.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg