b-hebrew - The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The Flood
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 07:49:42 +0200

Dear Christine,

I am not aware of this latest information. I am aware that a book was
recently released claiming that the basis of Noah's Flood was a change in
water levels of the Black Sea. But this is not in the area of Shuruppak in
Lower Mesopotamia, where the earliest Fllod story is situated in the
Sumerian account of the Flood and its later Babylonian spin-offs, including
the biblical. Because Humanist scholars understand the biblical account to
derive from the Sumerian and Babylonian accounts, most Humanist scholars *do
not take seriously* the claims of a change in water levels of the Black Sea
being behind the biblical account.

All the best,

Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld