b-hebrew - Re: The Flood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Flood
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:17:12 +0400

Do you have any indication of dating for this flooding of the dried up
Mediterranean basin? I think we must assume some time well before the dawn
of recorded history. Probably we are looking back millions of years, before
the emergence of modern man. So I agree with you that this flooding is
somewhat off topic.

As for the Black Sea flooding, I think we should reserve judgment until we
can get some idea of dating, which should not be a problem as there is
radiocarbon dateable wood down there.

By the way, it surprises me to read that "Scientists theorize that the Black
Sea was a freshwater lake until... about 7,000 years ago". As it would have
had no outlet, surely it would have been a salt lake, either a moderately
salty one like the nearby Caspian Sea (less salty than the oceans, but more
salty than the Baltic) or one saturated with salt like the Dead Sea and many
small salt lakes in the region.

It would require only a small increase in the sea level for a similar
catastrophe to happen to the Caspian Sea (but on a smaller scale, as its
level is only 27 metres below sea level). And how much for the Dead Sea to
be flooded?

Peter Kirk