b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:1 "When God began to create"?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:12:20 +0100

I accept "In a beginning God..." as a valid alternative to "In the beginning
of God...". I don't accept "with" as B- does not mean "with", and the
grounds you give for preferring it (that "with a beginning" is better
English than "in a beginning") as both are bad English and neither are what
the Hebrew means. So I don't think there is any support for your last
question.

Remember that I said that this was ridicuously over-literal, so I am not
going to be drawn into discussing which of two alternatives is marginally
less ridiculous. And I certainly was not looking for things like
alliteration in such a pseudo-translation.

Peter Kirk