b-hebrew - Re: Gen 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: Peter Kirk <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:23:08 -0700 (PDT)

Peter,
The question does not hinge on one's position regarding creation.
The question hinges on linguistics. At 2:4 YOM is qualified with the
added preposition "B" and 2:4 fits well with the other usages that you
mention below. BDB makes a clear distinction. Thus, there is *no*
contradiction between 2:4 and chapter 1, since it is an entirely different
usage.

Michael