b-hebrew - Re: Gen 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:27:27 -0400

Dear Tony,
The word BEYOM simply means "when." For a parallel to Gen. 2:4, see Num.
3:1, where all of God's speaking to Moses from Sinai is referred to as "in
the day God spoke to Moses from Sinai". Thus Gen. 2:4 is not an attempt to
reduce creation to one day at all, but rather it means "when God had created
the heavens and the earth". As far as I can determine, there is no other
Hebrew word meaning "when."
The question of authorship is not influenced by the word BEYOM.
Lee R. Martin