b-hebrew - Re: Gen 2:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 2:4
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:14:15 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, YOM falls into quite clear categories. When it is not augmented
(prefixed pronoun-like "b"- or in the plural) the word *always* refers to
a literal day (some 200x), Gen 1 of course being a battleground. Further
in Gen 1, YOM is delimited by "evening and morning" which is never used in
reference to anything else but a literal day. I am sure that we do not
want to get too deeply into this (presuppositions being what they are in
this area)-I don't either. BDB had this figured out a long time ago (they
have these categories very clearly set out). Also Evan-Shoshan divides up
the usages quite neatly.

Michael