b-hebrew - RE: Locating Ai

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Walter Mattfeld' <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Locating Ai
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 19:22:47 +0200

Well, the Hebrew is 'ayin-yod, so the Greek transliterates the unusual
laryngal (from the view point of Greek) 'ayin with a 'g', which is certainly
not a surprising solution to the dilemma of having to render Ai from Hebrew
into Greek.

If I remember well, the Russians for lack of an 'h' doe something very
similar when transcribing western names with an 'h'.

There is therefore no reason to assume that the 'Vorlage' of the LXX in this
case was different from the Hebrew.

NPL