b-hebrew - Re: Locating Ai

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Locating Ai
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:59:09 +0100

The g (gimel) in En-Gedi is a quite different letter from the gh (guttural
ayin) of Ai. The former regularly becomes j (jim - English not German
pronunciation!) in Arabic, the latter remains gh (gheyn) in Arabic. Compare
`azza (Hebrew, with a guttural ayin inferred) = Gaza (LXX, English) = Ghazza
(Arabic, with gheyn). But many other Hebrew names starting with ayin are
transliterated by zero in LXX (e.g. `abarim > abarim in Num 33:47, plus all
the various Obadiah's etc) and/or have Arabic equivalents with `eyn (a
different Arabic letter), which suggests that the one Hebrew letter ayin was
used for two originally different sounds, though the distinction was later
lost.

Peter Kirk