b-hebrew - Re: Malkhuyot and bokhiya

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Pere Casanellas" <pere.casanellas AT retemail.es>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Malkhuyot and bokhiya
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:35:56 -0500

He is correct. Apparently the same sign [a dot within the letter] was
chosen to designate both the DAGHESH and the consonantal character of
certain letters because both signal a strong or hard sound. The MAPPIQ can
in fact signal the consonantal [as opposed to the vocalic function]
character of Alef (if memory serves, the Massoretes cite four? instances of
this), Yod, or even Vav as well as of final He.

Forms like the two you cite [malkhuyot and bokhiyah] are given mappiq for
different reasons. In the denominative abstract malkhut, a consonantal yod
is necessary before the suffix that begins with a vowel [sound]; this is
actually a regular pattern in MT orthography. I think this form is only
found in Dn 8:22.

Bokhiya on the other hand derives from the verbal root B-Kh-Y; the
consonantal Yod in bokhiya is an original letter reappearing. That is what
is marked by the Mappiq, I believe. The spelling bokhiyah is here a fem
singular (sic!) participle formed on the analogy of a masculine form bokhiy.
Similar words, all with pointed Yod which is probably mappiq instead of
daghesh hazzaq, include HoMiYah; GoLiYah; TsoFiYah, and perhaps even
PoRiYah.
Charles David Isbell